We caught up with make-up artist Jolanta Gladys of Make up by Jolanta to get her top bridal beauty tips, starting five months in advance!
When it comes to beautiful bridal skin and make-up, you need to start your beauty prep early! Jolanta suggests starting with these essentials, daily, with up to five months to go…
Nanolash – Apply before going to bed on a clean and dry lash line.
Rapid Brow – Apply before going to bed on clean and dry brows.
Skin, nails and hair
Vitamins – Take one per day with a meal. You can start this when you get engaged!
At least 3 months before the wedding:
Your make up trial
• Bring photos of your dress, planned hairstyle, colour theme etc
• Take photos during – one version with subtle make up, and a second with stronger make-up and false eyelash inserts. You can look back at both make-up versions at home, asking advice from family and friends as to which one looks best.
• Discuss with your bridesmaids, mum and mother-in-law if they wish to have their make-up done on the day too, so you can arrange timings.
1-2 weeks Before the wedding:
• Eyebrow shape and tint/eyelash tint. Always use a trusted beauty salon for this! For brows, I recommend the Benefit Brow Service.
• Tanning. Be careful with spray tans. If you wish to have one, follow guidelines on exfoliating and moisturising before application and don’t leave it until the last minute. If it goes wrong, you’ll want to have enough time to wash it out. You also don’t want any of it to rub onto your dress on the day! I recommend Gradual Tan by St Tropez to be applied once a week for a couple of weeks before your wedding. It looks natural and doesn’t leave a nasty smell or streaks, if applied with care.
2-3 Days before:
• Get a facial. Avoid chemical peels or anything you have not tried before. I would suggest only using a trusted beauty salon.
The Morning of the wedding:
• Lip preparation. Exfoliate your lips by gently massaging them with a toothbrush. Always apply warm water onto your lips and a toothbrush will help to avoid breaking any skin. Rub your lips with a dry towel to get rid of any dry skin left over. Apply a good lip balm immediately (I recommend Elizabeth Arden 8 hour Lip Protector).
• A face mask. I recommend Charlotte Tilbury’s Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask, to be worn for as long as you wish on clean skin before make up application. It gives an incredible, healthy glow and plumps up the skin.
• Handbag essentials. Blotting/shine control paper, lipstick/lipgloss, pressed powder.
Jolanta’s top beauty buys…
• Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
• Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara
• Charlotte Tilbury Exagger Eyes Eyeshadow pallet
• Charlotte Tilbury Kidman’s Kiss Matt Revolution Lipstick
• Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Lip Cheat Lip Liner
• Charlotte Tilbury Lip Lustre Colour Lasting Lip Lacquer in Portobello Girl
• Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream moisturiser
• L‘Oreal Brow Artist powder
• Benefit 24h Brow Setter
• Elizabeth Arden 8 hour Lip Balm
• Charlotte Tilbury Wonder Glow Instant Soft Focus Primer
• YSL All Hours Foundation
• Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look Beauty Glow Palette (Blush , Bronzer, Highlighter)
• Lancome Liner Plume Longlasting Black Liquid Eyeliner
• Laura Mercier Transluscent
• Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer
• Individual False Eyelashes + Duo glue that turns black once dry.
• Estee Lauder Infinite Waterproof Brown Eyeliner