For the stat-savvy amongst you, the latest 2018 predictions in the world of weddings proves interesting reading indeed. Here comes the science bit…
Following the announcements of two Royal Weddings scheduled in 2018, bespoke group travel specialists Red7 have decided to play the stats game. After crunching all the numbers and calculating their projections, the forecast is in. We team up to share with you our thoughts at their 2018 predictions for the world of weddings…
- There will be 221,169 marriages in the year ahead – two of them royal. That’s 442,338 loved-up people each saying ‘I DO’ this year… and that makes us very happy!
- 2,916 weddings are expected to be held on 19th May – the same day as HRH Prince Harry and Meghan Markle tie the knot. Taking data from the Office of National Statistics (ONS), Red7 looked at trends in the number of weddings in England and Wales up to 2014, then charted their prediction for 2018. With the first Royal Wedding on the third Saturday in May, past trends for that day were studied to achieve a statistic for 2018.
- A massive £1,250,047,188 will be spent by hens in 2018 to celebrate the bride’s engagement. This cost includes travel, accommodation, clothes, alcohol, food and activities. Red7’s data shows that each party has, on average, 12 hens, and it’s predicted that each group will spend a hefty £5,652 between them.
- £138,230,625 will be spent on bridesmaid dresses for the expected 663,507 bridesmaids in 2018.
- Brides and bridesmaids will spend a combined total of 79 years getting their hair and make-up done. (This has to be our favourite stat ever… it’s so totally bonkers! But we can well believe it!)
- Around £26,739,332 will be spent on wedding dresses and with many high-street brands focusing on wedding ranges, brides are now spending an average £832 on their dream dress.
- Wedding guests are expected to spend £530,805,600 on gifts.
- Around 88,467,600 wedding photographs will be snapped, and 5,520,379 bottles of Champagne popped to celebrate all the weddings in 2018. We’ll drink to that!
Our thanks to Red7 for this excellent food for thought!