Slim and slinky in time for your dream day and honeymoon couldn’t be easier with these seriously scrummy summer dishes!
We love our food and when the sun comes out, is there anything more glorious than an alfresco dinner for two people in love? Thanks to these fantastic ideas from Slimming World (slimmingworld.co.uk), you can now tuck into gorgeously delicious summer dishes with your figure in tact and still fabulous!
Starter: Halloumi and pesto peppers (serves 4, Ready in 35 minutes)
350g cherry tomatoes, halved
4 peppers, halved through the stem, deseeded and stems removed
Low-calorie cooking spray
100g reduced-fat halloumi cheese, diced
Salad, to serve
For the pesto:
2 slices of wholemeal bread (from a small 400g loaf)
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves
Juice of 1 small lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Divide the tomatoes between the pepper halves and season to taste. To make the pesto, put the bread into a food processor and whizz into breadcrumbs. Add the garlic, basil, lemon juice and 90ml of water and whizz to a loose
paste, then spoon the pesto
into the peppers.
- Put the peppers into an ovenproof dish (shallow enough to fit under your grill), spray with low calorie cooking spray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender. Preheat the grill to high. Push the halloumi pieces into the peppers, grind over a little more black pepper and cook under the hot grill for 5-10 minutes to brown the tops nicely. Serve hot with salad.
Main course: Sweet chilli chicken and pepper kebabs, (serves 4, ready in 35 minutes, plus marinating)
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra to serve
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1 level tsp sweetener
2 tbsp soy sauce
Juice of 2 lemons, plus slices to serve
4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
2 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into bite-size chunks
Fresh mint leaves and sprigs, to garnish
Lemon slices, to serve
Vegetables, to serve
- Put the chilli, garlic, ginger, sweetener, soy sauce and lemon juice in a large non-reactive bowl (glass, ceramic or plastic) and mix well. Take out 2 tbsp of the mixture and set aside. Add the chicken to the large bowl and toss well then cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Light the barbecue for direct medium heat.
- Thread the chicken and pepper chunks on to 4 skewers and barbecue over direct medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Turn the skewers, brush with the reserved marinade and cook for a further 7-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender. (Or cook on a griddle pan over a medium-high heat if the weather isn’t on your side!)
- Scatter over the mint and extra chilli and serve hot with lemon slices and your favourite vegetables.
Dessert: Summer berry cream cups (serves 6, Ready in 45 minutes plus cooling, standing and chilling)
*Pregnant women, the elderly and babies are advised not to eat raw or partially cooked eggs.
300g fat-free natural Greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites*
2 tbsp sweetener
Extra berries, to serve
For the syrup
200g strawberries, halved, plus extra to decorate
200g raspberries, halved, plus extra to decorate
1 tbsp crème de cassis
1 tsp sweetener
- First make the syrup. Put the strawberries, raspberries and crème de cassis into a heatproof bowl. Cover with cling film and place over a pan of gently simmering water for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, make the cream cups. Put the quark, yogurt and vanilla extract into a bowl and stir well until smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until just stiff. Add the sweetener a little at a time while continuing to whisk. Fold the egg whites into the quark, spoon into dessert glasses and chill. Tip the berries and all their juices into a sieve over a bowl and leave to strain for 10 minutes (don’t push the berries through, as you only want the juices). Pour the juice into a pan, discarding the berries. Add the sweetener and dissolve over a medium heat, then simmer for 3-4 minutes to reduce slightly. Cool and chill. Drizzle the syrup into the cream cups and decorate with extra berries to serve.
Bon appetite and thank you Slimming World!